Sleep is the most incredible nutrient for recharging your brain and body! Deprivation of sleep can lead to extreme health hazards. Every health care provider recommends a proper treatment for sleep deprivation and insomnia, if you’re already having one!
We all know this very well! Basic facts about health sciences! Well, how much can sleep deprivation affect you is still unknown to many readers here. Furthermore, various studies indicate, Insomnia is linked to the development of heart diseases.
If you’re looking for the easy tips on, “how to sleep better,” this can be really beneficial to you!
Sleep Deprivation or Insomnia – Causes, Treatment and Tips to Sleep Better
Before we begin with the best recommended treatment for sleep deprivation and insomnia, let’s start with other important stuff!
Why do we sleep? Benefits of having a good sleep
Sleep recharges your body and brain! It let’s your body processes to calm down and attain a steady metabolic state. Because, during most of your day time activities leads to enormous fluctuation of your hormones and metabolism. Therefore, it becomes essential to cool down your metabolic state to the baseline levels. This can only occur when you don’t use your organ systems actively.
I have found the biggest benefit of having a good sleep for over 7 hours – Incredible memory power!
Dr. Rapoport from NYU Langone Medical Center says, “If you are trying to learn something, whether it’s physical or mental, you learn it to a certain point with practice. But something happens while you sleep that makes you learn it better.”
This shows that, during sleep you can strengthen memories or “practice” skills learned while you were awake. This process is called consolidation.
Why can’t you sleep? What causes Insomnia?
There may be 1000 ways for not having a good sleep. You have to figure out the most annoying ones!
Lifestyle errors surpass all other reasons for sleep deprivation nights!
Most noteworthy, Depression related to money matters or family issues rate high among the reasons of lack of good sleep. Worrying too much about the future, and regretting over one’s past are extremely common issues!
Excessive use of smart phone on bed after the lights are off is one of the fastest upcoming causes of developing Insomnia. Others unhealthy lifestyle factors can be enumerated below –
Tobacco or Alcohol addiction
Getting up late in the morning
Working late in the evenings
Avoiding physical workouts
Having frequent unhealthy, oil-rich meals
There may be many more reasons for lack of good sleep quality. The major ones are given here.
How much should you sleep?
The National Sleep Foundation recommends, 7 to 9 years of sleep for a young adult. Further recommendations based on age groups can be studied with this image pasted below. Image courtesy: National Sleep Foundation
Why Insomnia should be treated early? Top reasons to treat sleep deprivation
There are many health and social issues that arises due to lack of proper sleep. Therefore, a good sleep always scores over anything that’s running in your head! Even your monopoly master plan will be of no use, if you are not concerned about your sleeping habits.
Lack of sleep causes serious cognitive issues –
If you’re job is to think and act, like most artists, authors, teachers, Entreprenuers, CEOs, and most inportantly, the students, you cannot out perform your daily tasks with low quality sleep. Sleep recharges your brain and helps to think better, retain more and perform efficiently! You will not be able to generate ideas, and will feel low most of the time.
Low productivity at work –
If you’re an office going staff, or a regular businessman, poor sleep quality will ruin your output. You’ll feel more tired, bored, and consequently, display low productivity at work! This can be a reason for your regular procrastination, and can lead to firing from your job!
It can adversely impact your social life –
Chronically tired people because of sleep deprivation can adversely affect your relationships with your family and friends. Tiredness leads to avoiding visits to your friends, communication with your partner and avoiding playing with your kids. Furthermore, this can lead to short-tempered personality and frustration!
Anxiety & Depression –
Though, depression and anxiety may not be the major causes of sleep deprivation. But when you’re short of personal and professional skills, these may creep in slowly, without prior alam, and cause a total chaos in your life. The vicious circle sets in and you feel trapped in the frustrating lifestyle which will not only cause health hazards, but broken relationships too!
Prone for careless driving and road accidents –
Things may worsen everyday with the seriousness of Insomnia and roadside events. You may even become a careless driver due to lack of sleep. Family issues can lead to serious mental conflicts, causing prone for accidents and rash driving. You can see how lack of proper sleep can create a massive chaos in one’s life!!
Health hazards rises sharply –
Most readers may not be aware of the fact that, sleep issues can cause the release of harmful chemical mediators in the brain. These chemicals adversely impact the functioning of the vital organs, especially the cardiovascular system! The person becomes prone for developing premature heart disease, obesity, Diabetes, Stroke and Arrhythmia (Abnormal heart rhythm which causes stroke and sudden heart attack)!
How to cure sleep deprivation?
You should never rely on drugs solely, to treat Insomnia! If you don’t want to get out of the trap, believe me, no drug can do wonders!!!
Willpower is the biggest asset we have in our lives, and we underestimate this power to the maximum!!
Here are the best recommended tips for the treatment of sleep deprivation. If you’re really serious about helping yourself to get a good sleep, follow these steps religiously!!
11 Practical Tips on How to Sleep Better
- Change your eating habits NOW – Eat healthy and in moderation.
- Stop regretting about your past! It will never haunt you, unless you let it go!
- Learn new skills every week! This will boost the growth of new neurons, and will help to relieve anxious episodes.
- Avoid consumption of caffeine in the form of coffee, tea or cola.
- Follow a morning routine. Develop the habit of setting goals each day. This will boost your confidence and relieve stress.
- Create your bedroom sleepy and boring! Surprised!! When you’re facing problems in sleeping, you should eliminate every interesting thing out of your bedroom.
- Improve your pre-sleep routine – This is really easy! Get into a habit of having a warm shower before getting into bed. Indulge in reading self-help books before you turn off the lights. This will relax your body and improve your cognitive skills.
- Stop scrolling your smart phone! It’s not going to decide your future! Turn it off if you’re not expecting any personal calls at night.
- Keep yourself hydrated, especially before going to bed. This will help in getting you a deep and relaxed sleep.
- Have your evening meals at least 3 hours before going to bed. Also, try to avoid fat-rich food in dinner.
- Start morning exercise. This routine exercise will make you feel light throughout the day, decrease fatigue and help you to get a good sleep!
When to see a doctor for the Insomnia treatment?
Seeing a doctor is mandatory in the following cases –
- Your disease has worsened, despite of adequate measures taken to treat the cause.
- Persistent hangovers, short-temper and frustrating anger has overtaken your conscious mind.
- There has been a constant fear of losing something, panic attacks, or frank depressive episodes occur.
- You have a weaker willpower to execute the tasks for treating your problems.
In most of these cases, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with or without medications may help you to overcome your disorder. A study at Harvard Medical School found that CBT was more effective at treating chronic insomnia than prescription sleep medication—but without the risks or side effects.
Sleep disorders are on a rise in the world now. The reason is obvious!
Stress related work, uncertainity in the relationships, pressure to outperform and bad lifestyle. Therefore, before you look up to treat your Insonmia, it’s prudent to look for the causes that are causing this problem.
Finally, if the problem is significantly affecting your lifestyle, call your doctor!
Let me know, what do you think about this article. Leave your valuable comments below this section. Thank you for your precious time!
Latest posts by Dr Navneet Goyal (see all)
- Top Health Benefits Of Coffee | Drink Coffee To Live Longer - February 1, 2018
- Body Detox & Amazing Health Benefits Of Sauna Bath - January 30, 2018
- First Aid For Fractures | Bone Fracture First Aid – Do’s & Don’ts - September 7, 2017