INTRODUCTION: AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
Before discussing weight loss tips, let me share some of the most astonishing facts about obesity which nobody tells you about obesity and how to lose weight effectively with easy steps. Obesity is an epidemic of 21st century and will have more than two billion patients across the globe by 2020. In 2014, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Overweight and obesity are linked to more deaths worldwide than underweight. Obesity has reached epidemic cut-off points globally, with over 2 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese. With all these facts and figures, Obesity will be the most easily preventable killer of the future. Equal importance lies in knowing the basic weight loss tips and diet therapies. I will tell you the most selected practical weight loss tips for shedding your extra calories within no time.
OVERVIEW OF OBESITY AND WEIGHT LOSS TIPS:
WHAT IS OBESITY?
Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health. The obesity is classified according to BMI (Body Mass Index) into various groups. The WHO BMI cut off points are:
|CATEGORY||BMI RANGE (Kg/m2)|
|Very Severely Underweight||< 15.0|
|Severely Underweight||15.0 to 16.0|
|Underweight||16.0 to 18.5|
|Normal (Healthy Weight)||18.5 to 25.0|
|Overweight||25.0 to 30.0|
|Obese Class 1 (Moderately Obese)||30.0 to 35.0|
|Obese Class 2 (Severely Obese)||35.0 to 40.0|
|Obese Class 3 (Morbidly Obese)||> 40.0|
How do you calculate your BMI?
To know about weight loss tips, first of all you need to know your BMI. Suppose, your weight is (say) 90 kgs irrespective of your age and sex, and your height is (say) 170 cm or 1.70 m.
So, your BMI will be:
90/(1.7)2 = 31.14
Woof! You land up in the category of Obese Class 1 or Moderately Obese (See Above).
Weight Loss tips: Know where you stand on the BMI scale.
WHAT CAUSES OBESITY?
Causes of obesity are multiple and the outcome is a complex picture of malfunctioning of the organ systems. Here are the modifiable and non-modifiable causes of obesity:
- Age: Infants with excessive weight gain have an increased incidence of obesity in later life.
- Sex: Women tends to become more obese then men while men have higher rates of overweight.
- Genetic factors: Having a family history of obesity is a major contributor
- Habits and Lifestyle: This factor is totally modifiable and becomes the biggest contributor in development of obesity and its complications. Excess of Alcohol, Smoking, poor composition of diet (eating high amounts of sugars, trans-fats, and eating between meals), and physical inactivity are the worst partners.
- Drugs: Certain drugs such as Oral Contraceptive pills, Insulin and Beta Blockers causes weight gain.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Diseases like Cushing Syndrome, Growth Hormone deficiency causes weight to increase irrespective of diet therapy and lifestyle modifications.
Weight loss tips: Know what factors are modifiable for you.
HOW DO YOU ASSESS OBESITY?
Obesity is assessed by various clinical parameters, some of which are:
- Based on Body Weight
- Body Mass Index (BMI) as described above as ratio of Weight in Kg over Height in Meter-Square.
- Broca Index is Height in cm Minus 100 is equal to the ideal Body weight a person should have according to his/ her height.
- Corpulence Index is a ratio of Actual weight over Desired weight. Its Normal value is less than 1.2
- Based on WHR (Waist circumference and Waist: Hip Ratio)
- Higher risk of heart diseases is associated with WHR > 1 in Males and WHR > 0.85 in Females.
Weight loss tips: Access what risk you have if you do not follow the golden rules for losing weight.
WHAT ARE THE HAZARDS OF OBESITY ON YOUR BODY FUNCTIONING?
Today, obesity is the most prevalent form of malnutrition prevalent in both developed and developing nations and affecting children and adults both, and this is one of the most important weight loss tips for you. The obesity is a key risk factor in natural history of other serious and non-communicable diseases like High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), High Cholesterol levels (Hyperlipidemia), and High Blood Glucose levels (Glucose Intolerance). These problems further gives rise to dreadful conditions which causes ill functioning of the body systems. These are Coronary Heart Disease (Blockage in the Arteries supplying blood to Heart) and Diabetes which further gives rise to the series of adverse events leading to Organ Failure and Death!
Other significant problems that arise due to obesity are:
- Gall Stones
- Certain Cancers like Breast, Uterine and Colon (Large Intestine)
Weight loss tips: Know thoroughly what you might land into if you are not aware of. This will alert you from munching over and over again.
WHAT IS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
Popularly called as Bariatric Surgery, is a boon to the Morbidly Obese patients who are not expected to reduce by other conventional techniques. Though these are not the weight loss tips, but rather a collection of the techniques that will help you to lose weight quickly if all the conventional techniques fail.
Bariatric Surgical procedures lead to either one or the combination of the described techniques:
They produce a feeling of fullness with little food intake as they cause smaller sized stomach pouch either through banding or through sleeve gastrectomy.
This procedure causes malabsorption of the calories by creating a Bilio-Pancreatic diversion that also leads to malabsorption of essential nutrients in the body.
Combination of above two procedures-
Done by Roux-en-Y gastric bypass Surgery.
Every procedure has its advantages and disadvantages and are weighed according to the Cost : Benefit ratio for the patient. Weight loss surgery may not be recommended if you have a serious illness that would not be improved after the operation, such as:
- Advanced Cancer
- Liver disease
- Schizophrenia seeking treatment
- Actively abusing Alcohol or Drugs
Bariatric surgery is reserved for severely obese patients, where lifestyle and medication have been evaluated but none found to be effective. Bariatric surgery can be combined with other medical treatments for better results. There are clear guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) about who should be considered for Bariatric surgery.
- BMI ≥40 kg/m2 OR BMI 35-40 kg/m2 with other significant disease (eg, Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension) that could be improved by weight loss and:
- As a first-line option if BMI of >50 kg/m2 and surgical intervention is considered appropriate (and consider orlistat before surgery if the waiting time is long).
- For people with recent onset (within the previous ten years) Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus:
- If BMI ≥35 kg/m2, expedite assessment for Bariatric surgery (as long as they will receive assessment in a specialist tier 3 service.)
- Consider assessment for Bariatric surgery in a tier 3 service if BMI is 30-34.9 kg/m2.
- For those of Asian origin, consider assessment for bariatric surgery in a tier 3 service at lower BMI than other populations.
Weight loss tips: Know what surgical options you have if all conventional techniques fail.
WHAT IS THE RESULT OF DRAMATIC OR SUDDEN WEIGHT LOSS?
This is one of the most important weight loss tips from all the given points here. Dramatic or Sudden weight loss is equally disastrous as it causes severe malnutrition due to improper intake of essential vitamins and amino acids causing Liver to strain. If you loose weight too quickly, it lessens your fat tissue very modestly rather it leads to weakness and vitamin deficient. Ideal rate of losing your weight is 1-2 pounds per week maximum. More than that may require a keen supervision by your Doctor. Most common problems arising due to sudden weight loss are:
- Severe Liver damage due to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease (NASH)
- Laxity of the skin
- Loss of energy to perform usual daily exercise
- Deficiency of minerals, vitamins and essential amino acids
Weight loss tips: You should know what problems may arise if you lose weight suddenly or diet for prolonged periods.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RECENT TRENDS OF BEVERAGES IN THE MARKET?
Beverages in the current trend are loaded with lots and lots of Sugars causing an epidemic of weight gain and obesity remarkably. These do more harm than good! Just check out the Content box of your favourite Juice brand, you will be shocked to note these horrifying suicidal ingredients being served for you in a beautifully designed tetrapack:
- First of all, Check the Actual Juice Content. This will vary according to the type of fruit and its feasibility of extraction of juice. Somewhere near to 10 to 25% is the maximum content of the fruit pulp. Now you are sure that rest everything in it is added up to increase its content up to desired levels. There is Nothing like 100% Juice!!
- Secondly, Check for the Added Sugars in it. It will be somewhere between 10-12 gram per 100 ml of the juice! It’s shockingly high! High enough to make you obese! Each gram of sugar gives you 4 KCal, that means, if you drink 200 ml of your favourite juice, you get 20-25 gram of sugars loaded in you which is actually produce 4 X 20 = 80 KCals!!!
- Point to be kept in mind, the fruit already has some of its fruit sugars that is also displayed by some manufacturers on their content box on their juice packets.
In fact, some juices have more sugar content per 100 ml than carbonated drinks as illustrated by the chart below
It is useless to compare tetra pack juices with soft drinks like Cola, because neither of them are healthy. Each of them contains approximately equal amounts of added sugars per 100 ml of the content which is displayed on the sides of the juice pack.
Though there are very few brands that have started omitting ‘Added Sugars’ in their products, but they are not really well known by the regular consumers.
Weight loss tips: Almost every juice or soft drink brand in the market is playing havoc by adding a huge load of sugars in the packs for sweetening the content. It has no extra benefit over the natural fruit juices available in the grocery shop.
I hope you have liked this useful article on obesity and weight loss tips. It is important to buy your edible products after reading what it actually contains. Be a wise consumer and stay healthy with our most selected practical techniques of weight loss tips shedding your extra calories within no time!
Latest posts by Dr Navneet Goyal (see all)
- Best Time To Post On Facebook & Instagram: Quick Guide - October 21, 2019
- The Cancer Train In India: Mystery Or Reality? - June 8, 2019
- Zero To One Book By Peter Thiel – Why Should You Buy This Book? - May 22, 2019